Monday 26 June 2017

Home Free - A Heartfelt Moment

This post may be emotional - consider yourself warned.

Saturday a week and a few days ago Home Free was scheduled for a show at the amphitheater in the small town of Kearney, Missouri, USA. This show was the first Home Free show in Kearney and Fries were traveling for hours and hours to be there for it. Kearney, MO was the home town of a very loved and special Home Fry (Home Free fan for the newbies on my blog), Mr E, who had been looking forward to this show for a very long time. Sadly Mr E suddenly passed away only days before the show.

Mr E and his lovely wife Mrs L were already a big part of the fan groups when I started my Home Free/Home Fry journey almost 3 years ago and there were many times I smiled and/or laughed at one of their comments. Mr E loved Home Free and he loved taking amazingly good pictures of them and share with the rest of us fans that weren't lucky enough to be able to attend a Home Free show. Mr E's pictures were so amazing that the Guys of Home Free frequently shared them and praised them, and they were so amazing that they inspired other Home Fries to take up photography just so they could take great pictures of Home Free. Those Home Fries went on to taking their own amazing pictures that they graciously share with the rest of us, and those pictures now inspire even more Home Fries to take up photography as a hobby and passion. All thanks to Mr E and his amazing pictures of this group of Guys. Mr E, thank you for starting what I see as a Home Fry culture. We, the non-photographers of the fan base thank you, and I'm sure that those you inspired thank you just as much. Mrs L, my love goes out to you, thank you for sharing Mr E and his talent with the rest of us.

The day of the show started out, sunny and warm, with a Fry Hog Roast Fry Meet (Fry Meet is when Home Fries meet up to have fun and get to know each other, usually before or after a show but can be at any time and place). In the middle of all the fun and yummy food the Guys of Home Free show up with flowers and condolences for Mrs L, and of course to have some of the lovely food. There are pictures of the guys sitting there eating and chatting with the Fries, being just like every single one of us, showing us that the Fries matter to them. They see us and they care about us.

The weather that started out so lovely changed and by the time the Guys were about to start the 4th song of the show their manager Luke took them off stage. By then it wasn't just raining but the sky was filled with thunder and lightning making the stage with it's electrical equipment and the open area where the audience were sat/stood potentially dangerous. 

In the hopes of the weather picking up and the show starting up again most of the audience stayed and took shelter under a pavilion up a wet grass slope. After having waited some time they could see the five Guys of Home Free walking up the same wet grass slope through the rain, and with thunder and lightning all around them. Instead of having one of the arrangers, or their manager Luke, announce that the rest of the show had indeed been cancelled they wanted to break the bad news to their fans themselves. They could have just jumped into their tour bus and drove off and let someone else handle it. But they didn't. They could have been asked to be driven to the pavilion, but they chose to walk through the rain - just like their fans had done - to break the bad news. They could have left it at that, or long before, but they didn't. 

What they did was to express their deepest regrets that the show had to be cancelled. What they did was to climb up on picnic tables in a pavilion with the thunder and lighting having it's own concert all around them. What they did was something that makes me love them even more than I already did. What they did was to yet again show the world what a class act they are. What they did was to set an example on how to care for your fans. What they did was to sing the most heartfelt and astonishing rendition of How Great Thou Art I have ever heard - off-mic. They sang it from the bottoms of their hearts, they sang it for the 770 fans that were sticking around in the bad weather in the hopes to see more of them. And I think, although this is entirely me thinking and I have no proof of it being true, they sang it for Mr E. Whatever reason they had for singing it with so much passion and heart it worked. There are plenty of videos on YouTube from every possible angle, some will show the lightning around them, some will not. You will find a video below starting when the Guys start to speak to their waiting fans and all the through the song. Also below you will find the official Home Free video and the studio recording of it. The official video and version, filmed in the Austrian Alps, takes my breath away, but this live version beats it by far.

I have asked a few of the Fries that were there to share some of their thoughts and feeling about the experience. All of these Fries are experienced Home Free show goers that have been to multiple shows with the knowing that these Guys already were to be considered class acts, and that they will always get their money's worth. Here is what they said;



Melanie - "I'm sure from all the posts you can gather how much this moment meant to me as well as the rest of the fries. This was my 40th concert and even though it was only four songs it was my favorite. Them slogging through the rain up the hill to the pavilion to hop up on picnic tables and sing for us all was my most favorite Home Free moment ever. I can only imagine how the whole concert would've gone because Austin especially but also all of the guys were so excited and feeding off the energy from the people..."

Abby - "The whole weekend was just such an amazing example of how incredibly giving these guys are to their fans. They didn't have to give those beautiful flowers to Mrs L or come to the hog roast to hang with their fans or dedicate the concert to Mr E, but this last action not only giving us this last song but deciding to walk up that hill during the storm just like we had was their way of saying we not only appreciate you but we are part of you. It expressed their love for their fans in a much more meaningful way than just words could ever have done"

Marcia - "I was at the Kearney show hoping that the rain would stop but I guess the powers that be decided that this was the perfect time to show the people at that concert just how special the men from Home Free are. They could have been driven up to the pavilion but they decided to walk thru the rain, up that slippery wet grassy slope the same as we did to show us that they are just regular folk and to show their solidarity with their fans. My heart swelled with pride watching them coming toward us. They keep doing things like this and we just love them more and I didn't think that was possible but they keep proving me wrong as they did Saturday evening."

Mary - " I was overwhelmed with love and admiration when I saw the guys walking into picnic shelter during the storm to sing for us. I felt in that moment, the fans are who matter the most. It was the most beautiful rendition of HGTA that I've heard. So many emotions were in the air that night. I felt honored to be a Home Fry, and to know such talented and amazing people I will never forget how I felt listening to them sing in a thunderstorm. The joy they bring to my life is indescribable."

Sarah wrote this to the Guys - "The words and sounds that came from you with the storm in harmony in the background-absolutely breathtaking. I just stood there in witness fighting back tears. Not tears of sadness, just tears of the pure emotion your music brings to me. The individuality of your voices so powerful and then when they all come together it triggers feelings deep within reminding me why I am there. Why I drive 10 hours to watch you sing. Why I listen to you when I am having a bad day and why when I am having the best day. You are five others have posted pictures and videos. I am just happy I was there to experience that incredible moment. Thank you for all that you give to us."

Eleanor wrote this to the Guys - "Y’all… this weekend was amazing. Branson was wonderful, but just a usual fantastic Home Free show. However, Kearney was inspired. Starting with y’all’s appearance at the Fry Hog Roast, the first 3  songs (could really tell tht was going to be some kind of party!) then followed so quickly by the disappointment of the storm! Then when the situation was the bleakest… Y’all walked up, through the rain and personally gave us the news that concert could not continue, but then you gave us a tremendous gift. This connection with your Fries is why we love you. Hang onto it as long as you can. Thank you so much."

Here is what Rob and Austin shared on social media afterwards;

Rob - "Although it was unfortunate the show was rained out last night, I was able to experience one of my favorite moments singing with Home Free. Coming out and singing "How Great Thou Art" off-mic for the people huddled under the pavilion for shelter, hoping the storm would pass was amazing. Everyone was so quiet all you could hear was us singing and the 'rolling thunder' in the background. I'll never forget it. I'm sorry for everyone who got a very short show from us. Thanks for being so understanding and thanks for making such a sweet memory for us under that pavilion."

Austin - "Even though we only sang three songs before the storm cut us short, last night was one for the record books. To everyone who stayed, thank you. Getting to sing one last song acoustically, under the shelter: well, I won't ever forget how your love and applause made me feel."

So there you have! These Home Free guys; Adam Rupp, Rob Lundquist, Tim Foust, Austin Brown and Adam Chance have yet again showed their fans and the world their hearts, their love for what they do and their appreciation and love for their fans. Being a Home Fry is not a temporary thing, it is something you are in your heart, and it is that way because of how the Guys show their hearts to us. They show it with their music, their humour, the way they interact with their fans, and most importantly they show by doing unexpected things like getting up on picnic tables during a thunderstorm to sing one off-mic song for 770 waiting fans, turning disappointment into the most memorable of memories. That is a class act in it's true definition.

Here is the video you all have been eagerly waiting for. Thanks to LeAnna Reilly for sharing it on YouTube


And here is the official Home Free video, make sure to subscribe to their channel;


I'm wishing you a great, fresh new week. Make sure to smile, love and enjoy every moment the best you can, and please share this post as much as you can. Let's show the world what Home Free is all about.

Love//Carina

46 comments:

  1. This is so beautifully written, you really have a true talent when it comes to words! Thanks for sharing your thoughts, I think, most of us Fries couldn't have said it better :)
    Again it just shows why we love the guys so much and why we are willing to travel so many miles to see them live. I have goose bumps all over every time I listen to the video...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sari! And those goose bumps they keep giving us!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't there, but felt like I was standing under the pavilion with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I wasn't there either, but I feel like I was. 😊

      Delete
  3. Special ending to a special day! Love the way you shared it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for posting this... i had not seen the video and with the power of the universe as their backup, how great thou art shows how great they also are. so powerful and filled with love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing this. This is why I became and will always be a Home Fry. Some water welled up in my eyes when reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is why we love them as much as we do. ❤

      Delete
  6. Wow Carina! Didn't expect anything less than this from you! Not just is this one of the most touching blog post of you, it is the story why we all love these guys so much. 😍 I was reading this post and watching the video while I'm on the bus and although I've seen this video multible times already, I had tears in my eyes. Love these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wrote this so beautifully. I really felt blessed to been there it was something I will never forget. It was worth the drive from Florida to see them in Branson, but seeing them in Kearney meant even more. They never fail to amaze me. This one reason I love them/ Thank you for writing this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a inspiring video and what a great group of men these are. Empathetic, charming and talented, and above all human and appreciative. Standing ovation from this fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! And yes, They are quite special!

      Delete
  9. I have been to several of their concerts, each and everyone a beautiful experience. But by far this was something I will never forget. Thank you for putting it in such lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I'm glad I could do it some justice even though I wasn't there myself. ❤

      Delete
  10. Fantastic Carina! Thanks for including my comment. So proud to be a part of the Fry community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me use it! Being a Fry is quite special. ❤

      Delete
  11. Thank you, Carina!! You have said what so many of us Fries feel about the guys of Home Free. 💜💜

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so beautifully written, living in the uk i cant get to their shows but watching clips and videos of them makes up for that short coming, why do i as a brit love these guys, because they are so honest and caring guys, they are funny as heck, but love to meet each and every member of their audience, no matter how long it takes, these guys have so much compassion for their fans, its something some of these "big diva" like singers could learn from them, i really hope these guys stay together for a verrrrry long time, i am so excited for when their new album comes out, i'll definately be buying it, lots of love to all the fries and guys xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! When you're in their presence you certainly feel love ❤

      Delete
  13. Well you know me sis, sobbing my eyes out. So well written and so beautifully said about Mr E. Thanks to you for your amazing words and thanks to all that contributed to this post. I love Home Free and I am a proud Home Fry ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling the love is a good thing, lil sis ❤ Thank you!

      Delete
  14. You wrote so heartily with words I could not put on print. I was not there becouse I live in Sweden and have not seen them live yet. But when I saw these videos that came up quickly .... wow ... could hardly breathe ... so nice so heartily done by these men !!! I'm glad for you that describe the entire story behind them vidona. I so wish I was there !!!! Thank you for telling us fryes. I have just found this group and just loved them from the beginning. When I discovered you are Fryes .... wow. Can not be nicer and helpful people. Thanks for everything. My heart is overwhelmed by love for both the band and you all. I tell about this event to magazines o radio stations here in Sweden o all i know for that matter.So thank you so much!!!!! Loving hugs from Sweden Anna-Karin Olsson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna-Karin! Feel free to share this blog post if you want to show why they are magical. Hugs from a Swede in Spain

      Delete
  15. Thank you for putting into words the thoughts and feelings that we all share for these guys. They definitely are a class act and care about their fans. Beautiful song and they (as always) sang it beautifully. Thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this post so much, Carina - thank you for writing it so emotionally!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ingrid! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  17. Yes! I completely agree! I wish I could have been there too, but Europe is even further away than Oregon. Thanks for reading! ❤

    ReplyDelete
  18. You so perfectly put in words the feeling of a fry, hearing about and seeing what the Home Free guys did in Kearny, MO. And who they are in general...
    Home Free, and their fries, are just full of love, so glad to be a part of that!
    Thanks for this blog, Carina ��

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed reading your beautiful words. Have yet to see them in person. That video just about beats anything they've done. Would love for them to come to my area of Ohio. I love between Cincinnati and Dayton. They are awesome. Your blog his awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, Thank you! Everyone ouis awesome! Especially you! ❤

      Delete
  20. Carina, I absolutely loved your post on this! You explained that day so well I would have sworn you were there! :) This is my first time to your blog, but it won't be my last! I am glad that you liked my video enough to share, thank you for that! I looked today and was shocked at how many views it had, now I know why. Lol I was late to post it to youtube so it hadn't seen much attention, until now! I posted on fb as soon as we were headed home in the car that night. Didn't even think to put it on youtube until I saw that while there were several different recordings of this same moment, I didn't see one that captured all of it. I was lucky to have gotten it all only because my hubby wasn't with me, he had gone to get a water, and I knew he'd want to see how it came to happen. This was our third concert, first outside, but they are always amazing! Truly talented and they genuinely care for their fans. We will see them again in November and I can't wait! I look forward to reading more of your posts! Again, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, thank you! I'm so glad you liked what I wrote and that you're ok with me using your video. Thank you! I'm so happy your hubby went for water. I look forward to you reading more of my blog. Have a great day! ❤

      Delete
  21. Had read about this but had not seen the video. So glad you posted this, very touching! Home Free is just the most amazing group of men, so full of character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! So full of character and so full of heart and soul.

      Delete
  22. Hi Carina, Thanks a lot for sharing this emotional moment. I got "Gänsehaut" (goose pimpels) and they do not go away!..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stefan! Thanks for reading. Even I get "gåshud" (Swedisch) when I read it. 😊

      Delete
  23. I have followed Home Free since the Sing Off.I am now in Tx bawling like a baby after that video. The song has meaning to me but when they sing it, I feel like I am in heaven. Can're wait til they come back to San Antonio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredibly powerful. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment. ❤

      Delete