Monday 18 May 2015

Town of beginnings and ends, best friends and Swedish treats

I am in one of my hometowns, I have three in total, but this is the town where it all began; where I began; where I was born; and where my mother, sister and son were born. This is also where my grandparents died, except for my granddad who is still alive; and where my dad died. So to me this is where life begins and life ends. Even though I was born here, I didn't grow up here. I grew up in the town where my mother, sister and youngest brother live, where I was a couple of days ago; and I spent 19 years of my life in a third town before moving to Spain. That's where I'm going in a couple of days, where I have most of my friends and my other brother. But if I had to choose one of these three towns as my hometown it would be this. I have parts of me here that I don't have anywhere else. I have pieces of my heart here more than anywhere else in the world. No matter where the wind blows me this is the geographical place I would call home the most. But, since I don't have to choose all three of these towns are my hometowns, and now I have a fourth in the town where I now live.

Anyway, I came here on Saturday with my sister and our mum. We started out by dropping mum off at her brother's house, and my sister and I went to see our granddad, our dad's dad, our farfar. In Swedish we have different names for our maternal and paternal parents. Mormor is mother's mother (mors mor, literally meaning mother's mother), farmor is father's mother (fars mor), morfar is mother's father (mors far) and farfar is father's father (fars far). So, we still have our farfar with us. He is a proper sweetheart, and one of the kindest and funniest people one could ever meet. It sometimes breaks my heart being so far away from him, and I know it breaks his too, but I have to live my life and I know he is happy that I am finally happy. I love seeing him, though. He was my hero when I was a kid, and the first person who ever nicknamed me.

After seeing him we went to the graveyard to pay our respect to our farmor, and our dad. Of course, we don't think they are actually there but it's still nice to go there and say hi sometimes. Our dad doesn't actually have a grave, he wanted to be spread by the wind and that's where it was done.

We then went back to my uncle's house to celebrate his wife's birthday. She actually has the same name as I do, both first and last name, but we don't have the same middle names. One of my cousins and his girlfriend showed up as well and we were treated with Smörgåstårta. Smörgåstårta is a sandwich made like a cake with several layers filled with spreadable sandwich toppings, and topped with non-spreadable sandwich toppings, and you cut it like you cut a cake. It is a delicious Swedish treat!

After a couple of hours of fun family teasing and laughter I was dropped off at my best friends place. This friend, J, and I go back 25 years. We've sometimes had years in between contact, and yet it has always felt like it was only a few days or weeks ago since we last saw each other. This time it had only been a few months, though, since I was here in January. Still, it is always love when we see each other.

Last time I was here I introduced her to Home Free, and even though she is not a hard core Fry like I am she really likes them; and as part of the Paying It Forward mentality among the Home Free's Home Fries I will take her with me to a show in the UK in January. I can't think of anything more exciting than to see the Guys for the first time with her. I'm hoping my sister will join us as well. That would be even better! I can't wait for January to come!

Sunday was a lazy day with nothing planned, It was raining and cold, winter degrees and weather for me, so we decided on a film day where I introduced her to Pitch Perfect, and Magic Mike. We had crisps (chips for you US peeps) and dip for both lunch and dinner. Swedish crisps are THE best! And we had sweets and chocolate pudding. It was yummy! Swedish treats are amazing!

Today is a new day, and it will take me down memory lane, but more about that in a couple of days!

Today's video choice is a Home Free original, Any Way The Wind Blows. This has been one of my favourites since the first time I heard it. This is kind of how I have lived my life, I've gone where wind has taken me. And it's also how my dad's life ended, he went anywhere the wind took him.

Have a great day!

Love//
Carina


No comments:

Post a Comment